Monday, December 9, 2013

DIY Christmas Advent Wreath

I love this time of year, the holidays - not the cold weather. I remember my first Christmas in the U.S. like it was yesterday. The real extra fat tree covered with silver tinsel, fell everywhere on the floor. These days prefer a faux (pre-lit and slender) Christmas tree - displayed in an cute urn, of course.

I've also started a new tradition of lighting an advent wreath, which I made at my church. This wreath is made of a wooden disc covered in evergreen and has four candles.You can read more about the meaning of the Advent Wreath here.  It's an easy DIY project make and inexpensive too.  

You'll need a small wooden 18 inches in diameter (or larger, it's up to you) disc that you'll want to cut to a donut whole shape and pre-drill 4 holes for candle.
Greenery (recycle an older wreath)
Pine cones or or Christmas ornaments.
Candles (3 purple and 1 pink), wired ribbon and glue gun.

Advent Wreath Instructions in Pictures

Assemble and hot glue greenery to wreath, (up-cycle an older wreath). Fill in with pine cones and berries and got glue to wreath, insert candles then glue a cute ribbon to wreath.

Advent Wreath using up-cycled ornaments

Instead of pine cones, I decided to add some up-cycled ornaments. As an after thought the wooden base should have been painted in green. I guess I'll have to make another one next year :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment